Sunday 9 February 2014

Book Review: Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Book Review: Where She Went (If I Stay II)

by Gayle Forman


Plot Summary:


Adam’s Promise: If you stay, I’ll do whatever you want. I’ll quit the band; go with you to New York. But if you need me to go away, I’ll do that too. .. And that would suck, but I’ll do it. I can lose you like that, if I don’t lose you today. I’ll let you go. If you stay.

It's been three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life. And three years he's spent wondering why. When their paths cross again in New York City, Adam and Mia are brought back together for one life-changing night. Adam finally has the opportunity to ask Mia the questions that have been haunting him. But will a few hours in this magical city be enough to lay their past to rest, for good - or can you really have a second chance at first love?

Fans of If I Stay who thought the story concluded after Mia’s choice will experience the post trauma that not only changed her life, but altered Adam’s happiness. In Where She Went, we face the aftermath of the recovery and begin to wonder whether Mia really survived the crash as it becomes evident that choosing to live is only half the battle. As a result Adam must face the pain of honoring a promise that was made to hold on to the one he loves.
This story takes place three years after the crash and Mia’s physical recovery. She’s a rising star at Juilliard and Adam is a celebrity of the rock band Shooting Star that finds himself at a crossroads. The story is told in Adam’s perspective and begins the night he makes a choice to revisit the muse of his success. 

Review:


Where She Went is the much anticipated sequel to a much beloved story. But this time it's told through Adams eyes. 
This is his story, his journey, his memories through flashbacks of the past with Mia, and without. We get to see the man that Adam as become, and what he wants to be. We see his devastation, watch his rising fame, and share an open-wound that is healed by music, but never fully closed. 
But most importantly, we get to walk with Mia and Adam through the streets of New York and witness a love so beautiful and alive that it has once again touched me in a way that I will never ever forget.

Gayle Foreman has done it all over again! She gave her fans everything you could ever want in a sequel and more. Her words are filled with so much passion and compassion. I can safely say that I loved this one even more then the first.

"Ever hear the one about that dog that spent it's life chasing cars and finally caught one - and had no idea what to do with it?
I'm that dog."

This book was so amazing! Adam is amazing! And all I want to do is hug him!
Adam's story is filled with so much emotional and physical energy. It's raw and powerful and exposed and vulnerable. The things he says, the things he only admits to himself, is what really broke me. You can feel his destruction. Even the lyrics to his songs were both inspiring and haunting.
Mia is a character that has lived through the worse kind of hell, so I was surprised how far she's come and proud of the way she survived. What she admits to Adam shocked me, but like Adam, I finally got it. 
I had a flood of emotions while reading this. I cringed, I cried. I smiled a goofy-ass-grin-to-grin smile all the way through.
Adam and Mia will always be one of my all time greats!

Hands down one of the best book that I've ever read. I adored this book. I loved this book. And I will always treasure these characters. I'm not going to spoil anything by telling you if they get there happily ever after, but I will say that this was worth it. I finally got the closure I desperate needed. Fans of If I Stay will not be disappointed, this is one journey your not going to want to miss out on.
Simply put. It's utterly Brilliant!!!


Quotes that moved me:


-‘I want to cut through the space that separates us, measured in feet – not miles, not continents, not years - and I want to touch her to make sure it’s really her... but I can’t touch her, it’s a privilege that’s been revoked. Against my will but still.’
-‘I battle with invisible waves and imaginary vortexes and demons that are all too real and of my own making, I actually feel something in my chest open, a feeling so intense, it’s like my heart’s about to burst. And I just let it. I just let it out.’
-‘I needed to hate someone and you’re the one I love the most, so it fell on you.’ 
-‘Then she lost the battle and started to cry…All my annoyance melted. “You dumb-ass,” I crooned, kissing her on the forehead. “You don’t share me. You own me.” ’
My rating for this epic sequel to a great book is:
****1/2

Reviewed By : Fouzia Umer

My Facebook Page: 
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Kelly2Cutrone
Follow me on GooglePlus : 

No comments: