Monday 24 March 2014

Book Review: Allegiant (Divergent #3)

Book Review: Allegiant (Divergent #3)
By Veronica Roth


-“One choice will define you.”

Plot:

The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.
But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.

Review:

Allegiant was one of my anticipated books of 2013, I really didn't know how Veronica Roth could wrap up the series successfully. Allegiant was panned by fans and many fans felt that this book ruined the entire series for them. Then there's me, one of the few "black sheeps" who actually enjoyed this book and felt that it was extremely necessary that it ended this way.
Allegiant is nearly impossible to describe because there's just so many subplots going on at the same time. At any given moment, there are at least 5 or 6 different storylines that Roth is telling and it's a bit overwhelming at times. This is definitely the most complicated of all of the books in the series and I guess it makes sense, given the fact that Roth needed to somehow conclude the series in a satisfying way.
Finally readers will learn what being "Divergent" really means for Tris and Four. Tris and Four's relationship is definitely tested in this one and there is a lot of bickering between the two. I just wanted them to make up and just resolve their differences; it does make sense that they are constantly on edge due to hectic nature of their lives. When there aren't fighting (which wasn't very often), there were some very sweet moments between the two. The romance in this one is pretty light, but we do get to see more of what's going on in Four's head.
I have to address the way Allegiant ended because it's caused so much controversy Veronica Roth received death threats after fans had read the ending. The ending of Allegiant was such a risky move on Veronica Roth's part; Roth had the guts to pull off something most authors wouldn't even dream of doing. This is why Roth has sold millions of books because she pushes the limits and is always creating ingenious plotlines. Anyway, I felt that this ending felt inevitable, Roth even said that she always felt like she knew it would end like this. After a bit of pondering, it all made sense to me and I felt like Roth had been leading up to this ending ever since Divergent. In fact, if you read Insurgent, there's tons of foreshadowing that hinted that Allegiant would end like this. Allegiant's ending felt necessary to me and I really feel that this is the ONLY ending that truly would have worked. While I didn't love the ending, I felt that Allegiant's conclusion was extremely effective. There's no denying that Veronica Roth is dauntless after reading Allegiant, it takes an extremely brave and daring individual to write an extremely controversial ending without fearing retaliation from fans. 

Some Of My Favorite Quotes From Book:


-“I suppose a fire that burns that bright is not meant to last.” 

-“I fell in love with him. But I don't just stay with him by default as if there's no one else available to me. I stay with him because I choose to, every day that I wake up, every day that we fight or lie to each other or disappoint each other. I choose him over and over again, and he chooses me.”

-“Change, like healing, takes time.”

-“The first step to loving someone else is to recognize the evil in ourselves, so we can forgive them.”


Though it’s not my favourite book in the series, it still was a heart breaking book, I’ll give it:
***1/2

Here is the Other Parts of Trilogy:
1) Divergent
2) Insurgent


Reviewed by Fouzia Umer



My Facebook Page: 
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Kelly2Cutrone
Follow me on GooglePlus : 

No comments: