Tuesday 29 April 2014

Book Review: Bloodlines by Rachelle Mead

Book Review: Bloodlines by Richelle Mead



Summary :

Sydney’s blood is special. That’s because she’s an alchemist –one of the group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of humans and vampires. They protect vampire secrets – and human lives. But the last encounter Sydney had with vampires got her in deep trouble with the other alchemists. And now with the allegiances in question, her future is on line.

When Sydney is torn from her bed in the middle of the night, at first she thinks she’s still being punished for her complicated alliance with dhampir Rose Hathaway. But what unfolds is far worse. Jill Dragomir – the sister of Moroi Queen Lissa Dragomir – is in mortal danger, and the Moroi must send her into hiding. To avoid a civil war, Sydney is called upon to act as Jill’s guardian and protector, posing as her roommate in the unlikeliest of places: a human boarding school in Palm Springs, California. The last thing Sydney wants is to be accused of sympathizing with vampires. And now she has to live with one.

The Moroi court believe Jill and Sydney will be safe at Amberwood Prep, but threats, distractions, and forbidden romance lurk outside – and within – the school grounding. Now that they are in hiding, the drama is only just beginning.

Review:

Bloodlines is a spin off from the Vampire Academy Series. As such some of VA’s secondary characters come back and take centre stage action here. This is also an entirely new plot line and not a continuation of the original story. Certainly a few key plot elements from the VA series are mentioned throughout the book and are of importance, but the book can be read irrespective of having followed Vampire Academy or not.
It is written in what has now become typical Richelle Mead style, i.e. intrigue intermingled with humour and romance. It is also designated for young adult readers, yet it is not restricted to just them. It does make an interesting and easy to follow plot line that can amuse and entertain whoever decides to pick it up.



I have to admit I was a little scared of this one. I really liked Vampire Academy and I didn't know if Mead could pull off a spin off, but let me reassure anybody who has doubts this book is awesome! This book is told from Sydney’s point of view. For those who don't remember she was the alchemist who helped Rose escape from prison. I liked Sydney in VA series but she always seemed a little cold. Well in this new series we get to find out why and I have to say that if I grew up like she did I would be pretty cold too. I really liked her voice and I will even go as far as saying that I liked her better than Rose. Sydney has her flaws of course but she is such a strong character that those are easy to overlook. The whole Alchemist world interests me and I think there will be some strong story lines to come. We also get to see several characters from VA and among them of course is Adrian. I will state for the record that I was Team Dimitri all the way but oh I have completely fallen for Adrian now. 

Vampire Academy fans will embrace the new story & new readers will become absorbed by Moroi and Strigoi culture, by the Alchemists’ sometimes medieval beliefs and by the simple thing that’s called life and it comes to challenge the much likeable characters.

 Bloodlines does not disappoint.It intrigues and excites and it does entertain. 
I’ll rate it with:
****




Reviewed by Fouzia Umer 



No comments: